Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A Brief Musical interlude (Send me stuff)

A few updates. Last Thursday was language appreciation day. We missed literally the first three hours of school. It was almost like a really long talent show. Except they gave out awards and several students took a quiz on stage (kinda like a gameshow, except much less exciting). Some of my 5th graders put on a play about a princess crossing an ocean and being attacked…or something like that. Anyway it was cute for the most part. Some 6th graders did karaoke in these really interesting costumes. As a sidenote, most Thai singing is not pleasant to non-Thai ears. We’ve concluded that in order to make it in the Thai music industry you have to always sing about unrequited love and sound really bad. But I digress, the kids had a lot of fun and hopefully appreciated their language.

We’ve been able to hang out a few times with the other farangs (westerners) in Nan. We went to the one bar in Nan last Friday. That was interesting. There are randomly a fair amount of foreigners in Nan teaching English (and by a fair amount, I mean like 15-20). Most are from the UK but there are some from the Philippines and obviously the US. We try to get together occasionally to hang out. The bar was pretty cool. There were two bands (apparently the owner of the bar is in one of the bands) and they played mostly Thai pop but a few US songs. I think my favorite song of the evening was a Thai song with the lyrics “I’m heartbroken, but I’m not gay.” The bar etiquette was a little strange for me. Apparently you do not dance in front of the band. You dance standing next to your table (where you have no room and where everyone who’s not dancing blatantly stares). It was a good time though. Also we are slowly but surely learning lyrics to Thai songs.

To end, I’d like to say that I welcome any and all packages from you (my amazing family and friends). Packages may include (but should not be limited to) DVDs (I’ll take whatever I can get) and books, pictures of you, US snacks that won’t spoil (oatmeal, pretzels, chips, mac and cheese, applesauce? etc), and toys and stickers for the kids. But I’m sure I’ll love anything you send me. It takes about 10 days for things to arrive here.
My address is
Karen Bailey
Bandon Srisermkasikorn School
T. Nai Waing
Amphur Muang
Nan 55000
THAILAND


The students had the opportunity to go to concert by a band with all blind performers. They had so much fun. These are some of my 5th graders dancing: Miew, Khaidow, Mook, Milk and On2 (because there are two Ons)

My 5th graders dressed for the play for Thai Language appreciation day. From L to R, Un, one of the boys (can’t tell with the mask), Nampet, Benz, Joop-Jang, and Miew.

Some of the younger students dressed for their play.

5 comments:

GTB said...

Hi Karen,
This is beautiful and we are really proud of you. We have been to Thailand twice, GB was there once by herself so we have a good idea of what you are experiencing and the thrill of living abroad. Especially where the culture is very different to what you are used to. What is even more beautiful is you are not complaining but having fun. You are doing great so keep on doing what you are doing.
GTB Grethe and Ted Bailey

Unknown said...

Hey,punkin'!! I miss you tooooooooo much...but, don't come home - keep doing your thang. I'm so happy for you. Take it all in, embrace it, and live life to the fullest.

All praises to the Most High for this , and the other magnificent experiences to come!

Lovin' you much,

Yo' mama

Anonymous said...

hi karen,got a chance 2 see u n your new life n thai, keep on seeing the world and enjoy
every day of life. PEACE&LOVE MARCELLUS

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen, Dominique shared with me your blog, I am so proud of you and your accomplishments. I have asked Dominique to purchase toys and stickers for the kids and some of the non perishable items for you. Hopefully we can get the package off to you before we go on vacation (July 18-July 25). Again, I am really proud of you. Keep up the good work.
Marilyn (Dominique's Mom)

Unknown said...

I'm not writing anything, now, because I'm too busy crying!! Give thanks and praise to the CREATOR, for all of it, Karen!! Just one more of the incredible blessings in store for you! You are reaping your harvest of joy, love, peace, and happiness...seeds of which you plant wherever you go!

A'she - let it be so - I'm in agreement!