Sunday, June 15, 2008

Welcoming you to Nan







(Me at my desk in the English room on my first day of class)







Thailand is an amazingly beautiful place with, so far, amazingly friendly people. I am living in a three-room apartment next door to the other three teachers I came here with, and we are getting along great We live in Nan, a small city in the North of Thailand. We all teach English at the same school where I’m blessed to have the most advanced students, the oldest ones and the ones whose families pay extra for them to have eight hours (rather than 1 hour) of English instruction a week. The kids are awesome. There are a few trouble makers and last week I had to call a few of them out for passing notes and throwing a ball in class, but in general they are very excited to be learning English. I think the most initially striking things about the kids are their nicknames (chu len in Thai). Their given names are quite complicated and difficult to pronounce. But we call them by their nicknames and in my two classes I have a Name, Benz, Bell, Book, Bible, Poop-Pup, Arm, Or, Yo, You, Milk, Mild, Mill, and a Prince. Their nicknames are given to them by their families, some have meaning in Thai, but most don’t.



The three other teachers and I are four of very few westerners, or farang, that live in Nan. When we walk through school or through town we get lots of smiles, stares, and yells. My boss hinted (as I introduced myself to the entire school) that I might be the first black person to step foot in Nan. One of the students pinched my skin and said “black?” Another student asked if have had my hair braided since I was a baby. One of the kindergarten students walked up to me and stared blankly at me. She then shook my hand, whispered to an older student in Thai and continued to stare. It was cute, despite the oddness of it all. The man who cooks the most spectacular pad thai at the night market that we frequent asked me if I was from Africa and in general most people do not assume that I am from the United States.

On Saturday we took a tour of northern Thai culture. We visited several waterfalls, saw traditional weaving and Thai houses, went to two Buddhist temples (and rang the gongs!!!!), stopped at a fruit market, bought rattan woven chairs, and visited a cave (pictures below). Our guide also taught us a ton of useful phrases. In the coming months we hope to spend a few days in the jungle camping out, go white water rafting and kayaking, spend the day elephant riding, and visit the major cities near Nan (and by near, I mean a 6 hour bus ride away, rather than an 11 hour ride).

I hope to be able to share with everyone all the things I’m learning about life as I spend time in Thailand. The first major revelation that I had is that I am blessed with an amazing group of friends, both from home and school. One of my fellow teachers could tell by just looking at the pictures I have with me, that my friends are unusually great. And as I listen to my new friends tell stories about their friends at home I realize (with no offense to them) that my friends are a very special group, that most people are never lucky enough to have.



Until next time…Sawatdee kaa







These are Buddha statues that were in the cave that we traveled to. Every year the entire town of Nan (pop. about 20,000) visits the cave to worship.
























This is one of the doors of the temple we visited. I don't know if anyone actually prays there still, but it's beautiful.



























This is the Nan river.
















Below are rice planters. They cover their entire body to protect themsevles from the sun. We passed by the homes of several of these planters. They are traditional Thai homes with tin roofs and modest furniture. Strangely enough, most of them have very large flatscreen televisions.
Very large spiders (the bigger one, larger than my hand) that we saw in the cave. NOT poisonous.

12 comments:

KayDee said...

YAAY! go cousin! sounds like you are having a blast, and as much as they are learning from you, you ae in turn learning from them which is a awsome thing! lol...as long as no one calls you national geographic like that did to me when we went on our alaskan cruise hahahaha...but awsome! cant wait to continue to read them.

B Bailey said...

Janet thinks its strange that people think you are from Africa but that makes perfect sense because thats where black people come from

Unknown said...

Hey, baby girl!!! I know you love it when I call you that..... ha, ha, ha... Sorry, chica, siempre seras mi ninita!!!

Ohhhhh, I'm sooo excited for you! I cried when I read the blog. But I cry for everything, huh?

Such cool information...thanks for sharing with us. You know I have a special appreciation for living vicariously, especially as relates to travel!!! But, not to worry, my Thailand experience will not forever be secondhand ---- I'm gonna visit you in Nan; whaddaya say, shall we meet at the noodle stand?

Peace and blessings -----

and sawatdee ka

ONE LOVE!!

Yo mama

Anna Almore said...

Karrrrrrrrrrren! This is absolutely amazing! What a great start to what is bound to be a year of cultural exchange (where you seem to be the biggest contributor right now lol), reflection (on how wonderful we are hehe), and fun! I'm still in Virginia but will be heading to Teacher Boot Camp this weekend--I can NOT wait. I'm itching to get in the classroom. I still am working on placement, but keep your fingers crossed that i'll be in a fifth grade classroom in either harlem or the bronx.

How old are your kids and how long do you work with them each week?

* Sigh * I am so excited to see what this year is going to bring for you.

Love you like a fat boy loves cake (which believe me, is a LOT)

Anna Bananna

Unknown said...

kaaarne!!! i love you! you're doing such a wonderful blogging job. Nan looks wonderful and I'm glad you're learning a ton and adjusting well. We all miss you tooooooons and i can't wait to hear more about the exciting things you're doing!!!! i'm so proud! so excited! love you!

Unknown said...

Oh Karen.... I am so proud of you.. Represent for us sistah's I know you will do us major justice... Love ya!

P.s. Eat some Thai food for me...

Francine Saunders said...

PiA did such a great job choosing you! You already seem to be having a great time and I'm so excited for you. Remember, everything that Nast and Leslie said at the PiA orientation is true...but the experience is also yours to be had. I'm all filled with happiness and stuff LOL. You're going to do great. And you KNOW it touches my heart to have another sistah in Asia. Breaking down the barriers one classroom at a time ;-). Have fun girl!

Auntie NA said...

Checking to see if I've registered correctly.

Auntie NA said...

OK, whew, I think I've got the hang of this now. Karen, I am so thrilled that you're maintaining a blog and providing us with such a detailed account of your experiences. I am so happy, excited, and proud of you, as everyone else is. I eagerly await the updates to the blog and look forward to learning about your life in Nan. I was in Sac last week and introduced two teens to some really fab Thai food. I was thrilled to share with the owners that my niece was teaching in Nan! Looking forward to your next update. Love ya! P.S. Let me know what you're in need of so I can get the care package off to you. NAMASTE

Unknown said...

What up, sweetie pie! Missin' you soooo much. And, at the same time, loving the fact that you're doin' the damn thang! I'm proud of you, and pleased that you are pursuing your dreams, and achieving your goals. Keep keepin' on, no matter how much your mommy says she misses you! I'm happy to hear the peace and joy in your voice, each time we talk. You sound so relaxed and at ease. There's no evidence of apprehension or concern whatsoever. It's as if you're a seasoned resident of Thailand! I love it! Yet another example of your characteristic maturity and strength! We can tell you put a lot of thought and prayer into your decision to go to Thailand, and having done that, you're embracing it fully, and finding all the good in it!!!! It's a special quality you possess - a gift from the MOST HIGH!!!! GIVE THANKS!!

...and, don't be leavin' them kids standing all day; next thing you know, we'll be reading news stories of a scandal involving some African teacher torturing students in Nan!! Oh, wait... never mind - that type of crap only happens in the U.S.

I love you! Be well! Hey, send me your address, so I can send you the stickers and stuff.

Unknown said...

....hey, what about the elephants?

pk said...

How blessed you and and what a blessing you will be to others! This is a fantastic experience and I know you will treasure it forever. I enjoyed reading this after a friend/writer in California told me about your blog. I publish, Pathfinders, a travel magazine for people of color. We'll be in touch.